Over 50 prospective postgraduate students took the opportunity to attend the Fusion Open Day at Culham Centre for Fusion Energy (CCFE) this week.
Each year the Fusion CDT collaborates with CCFE to organise an open day at Culham in Oxfordshire, where students can find out about Fusion PhD and MSc opportunities.
Attendees at the open day met with academics and existing postgraduates to find out more about their research and how it might be applied to provide sustainable energy for future generations. Several leading UK universities were present as well as the Rutherford-Appleton Laboratory. Fusion CDT students including Sam, Sam and Caroline (pictured) were on hand to chat about their experiences as PhD students.
- Prof Ian Chapman, CEO Atomic Energy Authority and Director Culham Centre for Fusion Energy;
- Dr Roddy Vann, Programme Director for the Fusion CDT;
- Prof Tony Arber, Warwick University;
- Dr.Yevhen Zayachuk, Oxford University, Department of Materials
- Dr Elizabeth Surrey, CCFE Technology Department Manager.
Another highlight of the day was the opportunity to tour the exciting fusion facilities at CCFE; JET, MAST-U and the MRF.